How to upgrade the firmware on a Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router
Flashing the firmware on a router is risky. You may end up "bricking" your router even if you carefully follow intructions. If you brick your router, don't call us - there's nothing that can be done. The following instructions are for the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router.
- By this time, you have downloaded the Less Networks firmware as a zip file. Open the zip file. There should be a single 2.4MB file containing the firmware inside: lessnetworks-v2-wrt54g.bin
- On the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router, connect the port labeled "INTERNET" to any internet connection you have (DSL, cable modem, ethernet, etc.,). Power up the AP.
- Connect your computer or laptop wirelessly or using one of the four wired ports to the AP. It should give you an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range. Make sure that you can reach the internet and browse the web.
- Direct your browser to "http://192.168.1.1". The factory default username and password for the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router are "admin" and "admin". You are now in the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router setup console.
- Select "Administration" and then "Firmware Upgrade".
- Click "Browse" and select the file containing the firmware that you downloaded previously.
- Click "Upgrade" and wait for the process to complete (about one minute) and then for the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router to reboot (about another minute - finshed when the DMZ light turns off)
- If you are connected wirelessly, look for the "LessNetworks" SSID and select it. You may need to "refresh your wireless networks" and/or "repair your connection" (renew your DHCP lease). You should receive an IP address in the 192.168.169.0/24 range.
- Connect to "http://192.168.169.1" and enter the new password for the Linksys WRT 54GL Wireless G Broadband Router twice.
- You are now connected to the Less Networks® SmartAP. Open Installation-and-Activation-Guide.pdf, a document that contains instructions to finish installation and customization.